Week 9 was one of the more uneventful weeks
in this course. Perhaps that was because we only had one hour of lecture and no
lab due to the ongoing TA strike. The lone lecture was on more advanced binary
search tree topics namely the insert and delete functions of the BST node. I
felt like they were just an extension of the last few weeks’ lectures. It got
me to review BSTs more thinking it would be on the test. While it did not have
direct carryover into the test, we did come across a question with a BST that
was of lower difficulty so it was a big help there.
I
would assess the difficulty of the test as fair. However, my experience was far
from encouraging. After consulting with my classmates after the test on
Wednesday, I realized that I made some critical mistakes right from the first
question, which asked what the maximum height of a 20-node tree could be. The
answer was 20 but a combination of fatigue and butterflies in my stomach caused
me to mess up on that question. The BST question I got through no problem
mostly because fortunately the answer was very similar to an example I had on
my aid sheet. However, the last question concerned linked lists and that really
tripped me up. I answered to the best of my abilities but having been
introduced to the concepts a mere week earlier, I was not as solid as I would
have liked to be. It takes me longer than most people to understand concepts sometimes.
The combination of the lack of time and the stress caused self-doubt and
confusion while attempting to answer the question. I think I got the general
framework from referring to my aid sheet but I know I messed up somewhere. Overall,
I was racing against time the entire test and I don’t expect the outcome to be
anywhere near how I did in the first test, which I did well on.
I
learned I really need to shore up my understanding of linked lists and binary
tree traversals before the final exam. I looked at the syllabus again recently
and I noticed that the final exam is worth a whopping 40% of our course mark.
Talk about high stakes. I could afford to make mistakes in the midterm because
it will only be worth 6% at the end. I have to do everything in my power to
make all the right moves when the final exam comes so I can end the school year
with a bang and hopefully get into the program.
For
some inspiration, I again scrolled through some slogs. Like Christian from last
week, Rod (http://rodcsc148.blogspot.ca/)
has written a very nice slog this semester with illustrations and clear and
precise explanation of concepts. His most compelling entry was his latest one
about his impressions of week 9. He identified the importance of critical and
deep thinking before actual coding and appreciated the instructor’s algorithmic
approach to implementing the delete function of a BST node. In writing, he said
he would take the same approach of the instructor and Rod, I shall do the same.
Like me, he found the test to be more than fair, but seems to have experienced more
success than I. He credits his success to doing the lab exercises in advance
because he found the test questions to be variants of the lab questions. Rod,
thank you for pointing that out and I will make sure to prioritize labs when
studying. To anyone that actually reads my slog, I would definitely suggest Rod’s
slog.
I
would really like to ask my fellow classmates to read my slog (I put
quite a bit of thought and work into it) and leave comments. You will make me very happy if
you do. I endeavor to do the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment