According to
dictionary.com, a “geek” is best described as a person who displays excessive
enthusiasm for and a high level of expertise on a particular subject or
activity while being somewhat reclusive and socially awkward. I have noticed
from various courses last semester that a considerable number of people display
some or all of the defined characteristics of a “geek”, for a lack of a better
term (since the term “geek” could have a derogatory connotation). They were
highly motivated not only for academic success but for self-exploration and
augmentation beyond the minimum requirements, while not necessarily making
social interaction their top priority. This is a waste of potential, as good
ideas are meant to be shared yet the absence of social interaction makes
sharing non-existent.
I understand
that sometimes people can be shy or people just do not like talking to others.
A great alternative to talking is, of course, writing. It does not require the
effort of socialization so that variable is completely taken out. Writings are
judged only on the quality of writing and the content. Geeks, who have
dedicated themselves to their craft, should be confident about producing good
content and anybody can be a solid writer with practice and due diligence. Writings
can be distributed far and wide, especially in today’s world with the Internet,
so a person from Africa can read and learn from ideas that another person for
Australia produced to change or build upon his or her own ideas. Your ideas
will also be exposed more, which is a good thing, since more people can benefit
from them and provide you with feedback. Writing is a means of interaction with
the outside world without the exertion of effort to socialize that geeks could
feel.
It would also be
prudent for geeks to write for the sake of recording their work. They sometimes produce ideas at such a pace
that old ideas might be forgotten and if not recorded, lost forever. I learned
last semester from the slogs in CSC165 that reflection is very important.
Towards the end of the semester, I was scrambling to find out what weaknesses I
had in CSC165 to shore them up for the final exam. The slog had everything in
it because I had been diligent in recording my struggles. Geeks should write
down their current exploits so that in the future, they can use the accumulated
knowledge to solve problems that they might have struggled in the past. The
past could also serve as inspiration for current or future projects.
This is my
opinion on why geeks should write, primarily for sharing and recording their
ideas. I would love for my fellow CSC148 students to comment on this slog entry
to give feedback on my opinion. I will also be reading and commenting other
slogs to check out their opinions on the matter.
No comments:
Post a Comment